Protein powders are found all over the internet and in nutritional stores. They are mostly used by body builders and everyday athletes. Protein powders come in different forms and it is therefore important to establish the best one for your case. The three most common ones are soy, whey and casein protein. Let us consider each of these types of protein powders separately to help you establish which one is the most appropriate for your protein needs.
Whey Protein Powder
A by-product obtained in the process of converting milk into cheese, whey protein is the most popular on the market. Some of the advantages of whey protein include:
· Promotion of lean muscle growth
· It’s the best for someone trying to lose fat
· Supports metabolism and cardiovascular health
· It’s the best for post workout protein needs since its quickly absorbed
· There are many flavours available
· It is less expensive compared to other protein powders
· It is a complete source of protein
This type of protein has only a few cons which include containing artificial ingredients and lactose has always been a common allergen.
Casein Protein Powder
It is generated using a separation process and it is simply a dehydrated supplemental form of casein. Some of the pros of casein protein powder include:
· Helps in muscle mass building
· Speeds up the muscle recovery time – casein powder usually moves slowly through the digestive tract and can even take up to 7 hours for it to completely digest. Apparently, the majority of muscle repair as well as regrowth usually takes place when your body is asleep. Casein powder is definitely the best protein for muscle recovery and it is best taken before bed. Besides bed time, it can be used at any time of the day.
Cons of casein:
Just like whey protein, casein powder is a common allergen. Not so good for post work out, it has been associated with respiratory ailments and cancer and it also contains artificial ingredients. Lastly, it is more expensive than whey protein.
Soy Protein Powder
It is usually isolated or concentrated during the hulling and drying of soy beans into soy flour. There are a number of reasons why soy powder is popular among a good number of people. Some of the reasons why you would want to use soy powder include:
· Contains all the essential amino acids
· Used by people to improve their immune system
· Known to promote strong and health bones
· Capable of reducing certain types of cancers and cardiovascular diseases
Perhaps the biggest disadvantage of soy powder is the fact that it is mostly genetically modified and thus has an adverse impact on a person’s hormone levels, specifically estrogen. It is not the best for women who are already on birth controls particularly because of the interference with the hormones.